Happy Tuesday, everybody! I’ve got an extra post this week talking about something other than clothes for a change. It’s about something we use almost every day, so I hope y’all enjoy it!
I get questions, lots and LOTS of questions about the pups. Chris runs the pups instagram account, and he gets lots of questions too. But out of all of the questions, the #1 asked question is if we have any tips to manage the hair around the house. Like this one from Bryana:
The picture of Buddy and Charlie w/ Carter made me think of this- how the heck do you stay on top of cleaning dog hair after those two precious pups? I have ONE Golden and I can barely keep his hair cleaned up! Any tips or tricks?? I am highly considering investing in a Roomba to run at the end of the day each day. Thanks in advance!! – Bryana
Bryana, we certainly wish we had some type of magical answer, but we don’t. However, we do have some tips that help make the constant hair a bit more manageable that we will share with y’all today! And great news! We’ve teamed up with eBay to talk about our new vacuum (it’s a Dyson!). We thought it would be the perfect day to do a PUPPY UPDATE as well…because heaven knows they go hand in hand. 🙂
Just a quick review for those who saw my last pots with eBay, and maybe y’all who didn’t see it will learn something new! Do you know that eBay now has approximately 1.1 billion listings at any given time? Let that sink in. ONE BILLION ITEMS. 81% of those 1 billion items are NEW, and most of those are listed as BUY IT NOW! So, even though some items are still auction style where you can bid, the majority of items can be purchased immediately. Personally, I love the “buy it now” feature, because who has time to be always be checking back in on an auction these days?!? They also have refurbished items, which we’ll get to in a second! And they have a DYSON OUTLET! Who knew?!? #notme #ihadnoidea And there’s a coupon code HERE.
We’ll get to the #1 Question in just a second (THE HAIR QUESTION!), but I think a proper introduction is in order. These are our pups. That’s Charlie on the left and Buddy on the right. And if you ever had any doubts, I’ll go ahead and admit that they pretty much rule the house right now.
The #2 question we get is “How in the world do you tell them apart?” Charlie is quite a bit darker than Buddy, and Buddy is quite a bit thicker than Charlie. No disrespect Buddy, that’s just how it is. Don’t worry, I like a pup with a little meat on his bones. 😉 Oh, and Buddy is a big baby. He whines for his daddy a lot, and gets extremely jealous when Charlie is getting any tiny bit of extra attention. 🙂
Here are some pics of the pups from the early days. And if you are new here and haven’t seen the post where I announced that we got them, you simply must go read it. Carter didn’t know we were getting two, so the post tells you how we told him (and even links to the video where he finds out)! I cry every single time I watch it. ???? It’s seriously one of my very favorite memories of my entire life.
Okay, now that you’ve had a chance to fall in love with them (and not hold their obscene amount of hair against them)…let’s get down to it. BRACE YOURSELVES. Things are going to get ugly for a minute.
Here’s the deal with puppy hair. It’s everywhere. If not managed daily, it will roll like tumbleweeds over our wood floors, and there’s certain places that these tumbleweeds like to collect. Like under the little wooden chair in the entry way…
Under the sofa table in the family room….
And THE MOST aggravating place, underneath the bar stools in the kitchen.
I mean, there’s no way around it, it’s just gross.
So, what are our tips? We’ve got 3.
- BRUSH YOUR PUP. Getting their undercoat under control drastically reduces the amount of shedding. I cannot even imagine how much hair there would be if he didn’t brush them regularly.
- GET A GREAT VACUUM THAT YOU LOVE.
- USE THAT VACUUM every other day, but do maintenance in between. One of Carter’s chores is to use a small dust buster when he gets home from school, just hitting the places on the wood floors where the hair tends to collect (as shown above).
Before we get to our review of our Dyson, many of you have asked us if we use a Roomba. Well, we bought a Roomba a couple of Christmases ago…but the Roomba didn’t work for us (although I have a couple of friends that absolutely swear by theirs). The pictures I shared above showed how the hair collects in nooks and crannies…well, the Roomba doesn’t go into nooks and crannies DANGIT. So although it works like a dream for others, it didn’t meet our needs.
ENTER DYSON. #doihearangelssinging?
I mean, it’s like a Glamour Shot of a vacuum.
When eBay reached out and asked me to do an honest review of a Dyson product, we were thrilled. Chris especially was like “NOW WE’RE TALKING! A BOX ON OUR FRONT STEPS WITH A VACUUM INSTEAD OF JEANS AND BOOTS!” 🙂 We hopped on eBay, looked around a bit, read some reviews, and ended up going with the Animal. Based upon the MANY reviews we read, it seemed like it was the one to go with when dealing with animal hair (hence the name “Animal”. duh.). But was it going to be enough to keep up with the massive amounts of hair from our two furry guys?
The answer? YES!
We wanted to save some money, so we went with a refurbished model HERE (at 67% OFF the retail price!), but you can also get one brand new. The refurbished model arrived in an unmarked box. But ours was clean and looked brand new! We could hardly believe it! This is what the site has to say about their refurbished models: Our refurbished machines have been thoroughly tested to meet like-new performance standards. Units may have some cosmetic blemishes that include scratches and/or other surface imperfections, that do not affect functionality. Ships in non-retail box.
These furry fellas make our vacuum one of the most used appliances in our house.
And by the way, trying to get a picture of myself with two dogs and a vacuum? Not as easy as one might think. This one makes me laugh because it looks like I have my arm around the vacuum.
I had such high hopes for a great shot,, but the pups had other ideas. 😉 #petmemamma
There are things that we ABSOLUTELY LOVE about the vacuum, and there are a couple of small things that we’d like to change.
Let’s start off with what we’d like to change. We really wish it had a retractable cord. I mean, I know that’s totally a #firstworldproblem, but we really like the ease of pushing a button and having the cord suck itself back into the device. We also wish it was a bit easier to maneuver when not in use. With our previous vacuums, we could always pull it back onto it’s back wheels (like a dolly) to push it into another room or back to it’s closet, but the design of this vacuum does not allow for that.
So those are the two things we wish were different.
BUT Y’ALL. WE LOVE EVERYTHING ELSE.
I’m going to give you some THINGS WE LOVE bullet points
- We love it has a canister and not a bag. I know that there are those of you that are die hard bag vacuum ladies, but with the amount of hair we are sucking up on a daily basis, the ability to simply empty a canister is necessary. Nobody’s got time to change a vacuum bag. The canister is easy to remove, easy to empty, and easy to return back to the machine.
- Another really important feature for us is that this vacuum has unbelievable suction. I don’t want to have to put the vacuum right on top of the hair, I just want it to get near the hair and have the powerful suction GET IT OFF MY FLOOR! 🙂 This vacuum does that.
- Our vacuum needs to transition well from hardwood floors to carpet, and this vacuum does that beautifully!
- We like how the ball technology helps it to maneuver easily around corners, and the design of the base helps it go under parts of items like media centers, couches, and the lips of kitchen cabinets with ease. I will admit, the flexibility of this vacuum took a couple of days to get used to (the way it rotates on the ball was very new to me), but now I absolutely love it. I’ll post a video to instatories later today showing you how it can maneuver even around a curved surface!
- Chris does a lot of the vacuuming around here, and he is a big fan of the length of the cord (30 feet!). With our old vacuum, he would have to plug and unplug between rooms, but with this vacuum the reach is extended dramatically! We are able to go through the kitchen, family room, dining room, foyer, and the hall leading to the study and laundry room without ever having to change the location of where the cord is plugged in.
- Chris is also impressed by the thickness of the plug. With our previous vacuums, we damaged a lot of the prongs by pulling it accidentally it out of the outlet when the cord was stretched too far. That’s not going to happen with this vacuum! Chris was a BIG FAN of this feature. #itsthelittlethings 🙂 And I’m sorry, but I have to say, there’s not many things sexier than your man vacuuming your house. Am I right, ladies? 😉
- Both of us were also very impressed by the attachment options. They easily attached and detach, and they are all user friendly. This little guy is for the upholstery. The underside has twin turbines, which were specifically designed to pick up hair without the hair getting tangled up. It works like a charm!
- The stair attachment is awesome as well. The carpet on our stairs gets so beat down, and it looks so dingy when that happens. The stair attachment not only picks up the dirt and the dog hair, but it also fluffs the carpet fibers up really nicely! The stairs look awesome after we use this attachment!
- As I previously mentioned, it goes from hardwood floors to carpet easily, which was also mandatory for us. We don’t even change a setting to do this!
- Pretty much nothing makes me happier than a defined vacuum line on carpet, and this vacuum creates awesome lines. IT JUST FEELS CLEAN when I see these lines! Raise your hands if you love a vacuum line, ladies!
So, let’s sum things up.
Is there a lot of hair?
These faces, their snuggles, and their unwavering devotion make it all worth it.
So here’s the update…
The pups are almost 10 months old now, and they weigh between 65-70 pounds. We all love them like crazy, but Carter absolutely ADORES them. He must say that they are cute at least 23 times every single day. For example, “Oh my goodness, Buddy is so cute laying there sleeping.” or “Oh my goodness, Charlie looks so cute with that piece of grass in his mouth.” Yep, Carter thinks they’re cute. 🙂
They are SUPER schedule oriented. We usually take them on their nightly walk at about 7:15. If we aren’t starting to move to the front door at 7:17, they are like “UM. HELLO?” They eat small portions 3 x a day, take a couple of naps still (1 short morning one for about an hour and 1 long afternoon one that could last up to 2 1/2 hours), and want our love and attention constantly. And we are happy to give it to them. 🙂
Their personalities are actually pretty different. Charlie is much more chill and Buddy is much more high maintenance, but we feel like we picked the two best pups for our family. Oh, and they are the best of friends. When napping, you can usually find Buddy’s head resting somewhere on Charlie’s body. It’s the sweetest. And they play together all day long.
WE LOVE THEM SO MUCH!
And our Dyson makes the hair a little more tolerable. There are so many options on eBay for Dyson vacuums. Some are brand new, and as mentioned before, some you can buy at a deeply reduced rate because they are refurbished. If you are a family that always pays extra for the guarantees, make sure you check because most of the refurbished ones are guaranteed for 6 months and most of the new ones have 3 year guarantee options.
It’s a good thing they’re cute. 😉
A huge THANK YOU to eBay for sponsoring this post. And a ginormous THANK YOU to Dyson for helping my sanity. 😉 Here are some other models that I’ve heard great things about! The reviews are so helpful, so if you are trying to decide on the best one for your family, make sure you take plenty of time to read them! Happy vacuum shopping!
And I’m sure you have heard about the Dyson hairdryer and the WONDER THAT IT IS. They have refurbished options of those too (where you can save $100)! They are still super expensive, but I’m actually thinking of getting one myself. I mean, you can’t put a price on shiny and healthy hair, right? 😉
If you have a Dyson (either a vacuum or a hair dryer), I would love it if you would leave a comment with your thoughts!!!
See y’all back here tomorrow for THE WOMEN TELL ALL Bachelor Recap!