HAPPY WEDNESDAY, EVERYBODY!
Well, the day is finally here. After almost 10 years of blogging, I’m sharing my closet with y’all for the very first time.
It’s kind of a big deal.
I mean, I know it’s really not a big deal, but I totally feel like it is.
There’s something about sharing my closet that feels super personal, so even though it’s quite possibly the most requested post of all times, I managed to put it off year after year. I kept wanting to wait until it was totally picked up and styled perfectly, but this week I decided to just go for it!
TODAY IS THE DAY!
A little background on my closet…
When we moved into our home (almost 8 years ago now), I was THRILLED that there were separate closets in the master. Like I was straight up giddy. Our home was a spec home, and when we moved in, the closet was just a rectangular box with rods to hang things on. There were no shelves, but there were 2 levels of rods on all 3 walls of the closet. I used it for a couple of years as is, but it wasn’t functioning like I needed it to at all, so we called California Closets and they designed and installed it for us.
Now, we did the closet over 5 years ago, but I want to share all of the details that I remember. They sent a designer to the house to meet with me and discuss my needs for the space. I remember her presenting a plan to me a week or so later, we made a couple of small changes to the design, and then a week or two later a team came out and installed everything in 1 visit! Because I know there will be those that are curious about the price, I’m pretty sure it was right around $4,000. And let me tell you, it’s been worth every dang penny.
THE CLOSET REVEAL
Okay! Here it is, y’all!
This is looking into my closet from the master bathroom. See the chandelier? It’s my favorite thing in the closet. It used to hang in my grandmother’s bathroom, and now I’m so happy to have it in this space. Mine is obviously vintage and sentimental, but I think a fixture like this would be a great option for a closet.
There’s a small wall on the right immediately when you enter. The”Be The Reason Someone Smiles Today” was sent to me by a reader very early on in my blogging career, and I still love it. The board below it was a HomeGoods bulletin board find (that I just repurposed as an earring pinboard), but there are some great options HERE if you have an open wall in your closet too.
This side of the built-ins was a perfect space for us to mount a couple of belt racks. Of course they can be used for belts, but we actually chose them for necklace storage.
You can also see the lower laundry cabinet right behind the leather tote. You might also notice the valet pull out bar with clothes hanging at the top. I have 3 of those valet bars in the closet, but I wish I had more.
In the middle section on the right, you see all of my jewelry storage in the open shelving. It’s also where I store some of my clutches and heels.
The drawers below the jewelry hold undies and pajamas in the bottom two drawers, and the top draw is a segmented jewelry drawer.
I’m OBSESSED with my jewelry organization pieces.
The pieces are GORGEOUS, but they are also super pricey. I’m linking my exact ones below in case you’re in the mood to splurge, but I’m also linking some options I found on Amazon that are AWESOME and seriously cost effective.
I also have colorful bowls scattered about that I’ve filled with bracelets. Mine are bowls that I purchased 1 at a time from different stores, but I found a really great set on Amazon HERE.
If you have open shelving in your closet, I highly recommend these clear dividers. They help me keep things (like my jeans, joggers, and leggings) in neat and tidy stacks.
As you can see, the shelving at the far end of the closet is for tons of shoes, as well as some more clutch storage on the top shelf. I have one more valet rod coming out where you can see a couple of my cross body bags hanging, and you can also see that I have small double hooks on each side of the shoe shelves where I hang various items. Just like I wish I had more valet rods, I also wish I had more hooks. The California Closet designer was right, but I didn’t believe her. You can NEVER have enough rods or hooks. #ishouldhavelistenedtoher
Notice how all of my Barrington totes are hung on S hooks. And yes, I know I have an alarming number of Barrington totes, but I worked with them for years and amassed quite the collection because they would send me a new pattern for each new season!
These S hooks makes storing the totes so easy.
I also store my cross body bag straps on one of the hooks.
Let’s talk hangers.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND changing ALL of your hangers over to these velvet covered hangers. They grip your clothes (so they don’t slip off), and they have an extremely narrow profile, so they take up way less space than a traditional plastic hanger. Plus, they just look nice!
If you’re going to purchase one thing today to help you get your closet into shape, it needs to be these hangers. I’m telling you, they will transform your closet and give you sooooooooooo much more room. Once you try these hangers, no other hangers will do. If you’re not sure, start out with just 1 pack and try them out. I promise you that you will order more immediately.
UPDATE: A reader (Hi, Carly!) just gave a very passionate review of these specific hangers that happen to be ON SALE right now! See the comment section of today’s post to learn why she loves them so much! I’m going to have to give them a try. Thanks for telling me to, Carly! 😉
This area could definitely be more functional, but I like that it’s filled with personal and pretty things. I will say though, after looking at these pictures, I need to edit down the “pretty things” so the area won’t be so crowded. I’ll share updates in a post next month after I’ve cleaned up the space a bit.
The rug is new to the space. I’m still getting used to it because my last rug was more neutral, but it’s growing on me.
I’m standing at the back of the closet here, looking towards the entrance.
To orient you, this is the shelving that the belt racks are attached to at the beginning of the post. You see open shelving up top for shoes and jeans, two valet bars, and a pull-out laundry hamper on the bottom. I love that the dirty laundry is tucked away so I don’t have to look at it.
If you don’t have laundry built-ins, but you would like to make a pretty choice, click HERE for some great laundry basket options.
More jewelry boards as you leave the closet…
And a couple more looks standing at the closet entrance…
I hope this look at my closet has given you some ideas for your own closet! And like I said before, looking at the pics on this post has inspired me to do some more organizing. I’m going to refresh the space by getting rid of some of the items that are in there now. I’ll be sure to show you the updated space in a future post!
Also, after sharing my closet, I feel the need to put it out there that I have more clothes, more shoes, more bags, and more jewelry than anybody needs. I know seeing it all in 1 space can be shocking and a bit overwhelming, but it’s my job to share fashion finds with y’all, and doing that requires me to purchase much more than the average person. #disclaimer #pleasedontcomeatme 🙂
Inspired by items I have in my closet, I put together a collage with lots of great jewelry organization items from Amazon! All of these items are totally affordable, and they are all super functional too. If you don’t have space in your closet for these items, maybe you have a spot on your bathroom vanity or on top of a dresser somewhere!
This is the the earring holder I got for my mom (#3 in the collage above). She absolutely LOVES it and now wonders what in the heck she ever did before having it. It holds 50 pairs of earrings, y’all! She doesn’t have a place for it in her closet, so she keeps it on her bathroom counter.
SEASONAL PILLOW COVERS
As long as we are talking about Amazon home items, I thought you might want to see the new pillow covers I have on the front porch for spring! I did red plaids for Christmas, I did hearts and flowers for February, and I chose this blue stripe for spring. I’m loving using pillow covers outside because it allows me to take them off and pop them in the wash if I need to.
Amazon also has a great selection of Adirondack chairs that you can find HERE and olive buckets that you can find HERE. I always put a huge fern in the wire planter for spring, and then I get seasonal flowers for the olive bucket and the red vintage sap bucket, I’m just waiting for the weather to cooperate.
MORE AMAZON HOME FINDS
And now, just because I’m crushing on all of these awesome Amazon finds, check out some more great home items….
1) velvet pillow covers / 2) wood and marble charcuterie board / 3) Savafieh rug / 4) farmhouse chandelier / 5) set of 3 succulents / 6) woven basket / 7) wooden fruit bowl / 8) boho pillow cover / 9) peonies in vase / 10) rustic wooden beads with tassels / 11) the famous sheets / 12) leopard throw blanket / 13) full length mirror
1) velvet pillow covers / The colors are stunning, and these pillows have near perfect 5-star reviews. People that have the pillows used words like “soft”, “whimsical”, “well made”, “rich”, and “beautiful”. If you need the inserts, you can grab them HERE.
2) wood and marble charcuterie board / This would look lovely leaning against my kitchen backsplash, and I would love putting it to use when we have company over.
3) Savafieh rug / OKAY. This deal is jaw dropping. My dining room rug that y’all see in all of my selfies (and ask questions about all the time) is a Savafieh rug. It’s incredible quality and BEAUTIFUL. This rug is gorgeous and on SUPER SALE. I cannot believe it. You can grab this 6’7″ x 9’2″ rug right now for ONLY $176 (regularly $724). WOW. There are several other colorways of this rug on the same link, so I encourage you to check it out if you are in the market for a new rug. Click HERE for other traditional rug options.
4) farmhouse chandelier / Two of these rustic chandeliers would look great hanging over a kitchen island! One would look great over a kitchen table or even in a bedroom or closet.
6) woven basket / I keep seeing baskets like this hanging on the wall as art, and I think it’s a great look.
7) wooden fruit bowl / I love a bowl on a pedestal, and I think the combo of blue marble with mango wood is so pretty.
8) boho pillow cover / This pillow cover is super boho and is giving me major Anthropologie vibes for a fraction of the Anthro price tag! I’m smitten with this orange and pink color combo, but it comes in a black and white option as well. If you are in the market for some new pillows, I suggest clicking HERE to check out some really great options.
9) peonies in vase / I’m not normally into fake flowers, but I think this faux peony arrangement is lovely. I have one in our dining room!
10) rustic wooden beads with tassels / I don’t have any of these, but my coffee table would really benefit from one of them casually strewn over books on a tray.
11) the famous sheets / These are THE FAMOUS AMAZON SHEETS. They are soft, they are crisp, they are cool, and they have over 200,000 5-star reviews! Everybody loves these sheets, and they are now on every bed in our house. I also bought two sets of twin sheets for when Carter and I went to camp a couple of years ago, and they are the sheets on the ranch house beds as well. And forget the price, THE QUALITY IS EXCELLENT. If you have guests coming to your home soon, have the guest bed made up with these sheets. And then buy them for all of the other beds too. And then your guests will go home and buy them as well. #theyarereallythatgood
12) leopard throw blanket / There are 5,600 reviews posted of this blanket and 89% of them are 5-STAR. If you’re on the fence, read the reviews.
13) full length mirror / Whether hanging on the wall or propped up on its stand, this mirror is awesome. I love the gold trim and I’m thinking I need it for my bedroom.
FAUX OLIVE TREE AND BASKET
And just in case you missed Conner’s post on Monday, look at the faux olive tree and basket in the corner of her beautiful new dining room. Both are from Amazon!
That’s all for today, y’all! I’m telling you, once you start shopping Amazon home, you won’t stop. Do you have any favorite Amazon home items that you’ve purchased? If you do, drop them in the comments section! I love seeing finds from others! It’s y’alls turn to tell ME to. 😉